Huntingdon Primary School Governing Body
The Governing Body is here to support the school and is made up of a group of 11 individuals from a variety of backgrounds. Some of the governors are parents and staff and some come from the wider community or the Local Authority. This mix provides a wealth of experience and views.
The Full Governing Body meets once every half term. In addition, our governors also form the following sub committees which again meet every half term, and in some instances many more times:
- Resources and Finance Committee: responsible for managing the school budget (salaries, fuel costs, rates, repairs and maintenance)
- Personnel Committee: responsible for staff issues
- Teaching & Learning Committee: responsible for monitoring the curriculum
The minutes of the Governors’ meetings are available to all parents.
The Governing Body have specific responsibility in a number of areas including:
- Curriculum and conduct of the school
- Children with special educational needs
- Overseeing the school budget
- Appointment and disciplinary procedures with regard to staff
- Discipline and attendance of pupils
- Community use of the school
- Extended services
Why have Governing Bodies?
- thinking and working strategically to help to raise standards
- monitoring and evaluating progress towards the school’s priorities and targets
- supporting the Headteacher and staff as well as challenging their expectations
Role of Governors
- to take a largely strategic role in the running of the school
- to act as a critical friend to the school
- to ensure accountability of the Governing Body to the parents and of the Headteacher to the Governing Body
The responsibilities and powers have to be exercised in partnership with the Headteacher and staff.
And maybe you?
Chair of Governors, Local Authority Governor
I have one daughter at HPS and volunteered to become a governor after she finished EYFS.
I work as an Admin Assistant in the office at HPS and previously worked as a fundraising manager in the charity sector.
Mrs A West